Last Updated: March 22, 2010
Ecovert Corporation (“Ecovert”, “we” or “us”) is a full service sustainability consulting firm, providing our clients with practical, sustainable solutions designed to match their business needs. Ecovert's online services include the “Ecovert Website” (which term includes www.ecovert.ca and all other Ecovert branded URLs) and all components thereof and all online services offered now or in the future by Ecovert (collectively, the “Online Services”).
Ecovert is firmly committed to privacy. Online privacy concerns focus primarily on the protection of “personally identifiable” information (“PII”) which an individual or other customer reasonably expects to be kept private. As the term suggests, PII is information that, when associated with an individual, identifies that individual, for example, a customer's name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or credit card number.
Information Collection and Use
If/when you subscribe to any Ecovert email list and/or update service or request product or other information from Ecovert, you will be required to provide certain PII, including but not limited your name, company name (where applicable), email address and country of origin.
We also automatically receive and record non-PII (i.e. information that does not identify you personally) on the Ecovert Website's server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookie information and the page you requested. IP addresses are recorded for security and monitoring purposes.
Ecovert is considered the data controller of the above-referenced information.
Ecovert may use the information it collects for the following general purposes:
- to protect you and/or Ecovert from error, fraud and unauthorized access and use;
- to customize the advertising and content you see on the Ecovert Website and/or otherwise provide you with personalized services;
- to fulfill your requests for certain products and/or services;
- to improve the Ecovert Website;
- to conduct research; and/or
- to keep you updated in regard to news and other developments concerning Ecovert.
Information Sharing and Disclosure by Ecovert
We will not sell, trade, rent or otherwise disclose to third parties any PII obtained via the Ecovert Website except:
- when we have your consent to share such information;
- we need to share your information to provide a specific product or service you have requested;
- to share the information with companies who work on behalf of Ecovert to provide a product or service to you (e.g. our email list). (Please know that whenever we share your PII with our trusted business partners, they work under confidentiality agreements. Unless we tell you differently, these companies do not have any right to use the PII we provide to them beyond what is necessary to assist us);
- we reasonably believe it is necessary to share PII:
- to investigate, prevent or take action regarding situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, or
- for risk management purposes;
- when we are required to disclose PII by reasons of a court order, subpoena, search warrant, or other legal process or in the case of imminent physical harm to the customer or others, or
- to establish or exercise Ecovert's legal rights or defend against legal claims;
- when you subscribe to one or more Ecovert email and/or other subscription-based services (as your email address may be transmitted to the other countries for processing and storage by Ecovert and its affiliates and may be subject to the legal jurisdiction of those countries).
When you access the Internet, the computers that host websites you visit (“web servers”) automatically receive anonymous information. This “usage data” may include a record of which pages a web browser has visited. The Ecovert Website servers receive usage data when customers visit the Ecovert Website and when Users visit other sites as well. Ecovert and/or its business partners may use various kinds of software devices to collect information about Internet use.
Small files called “cookies” may be attached to your Web browser and your computer.
- Ecovert will not link the information stored in Ecovert's cookies to any PII you may submit while on the Ecovert Website and will not use information about your activities on the Internet together with any information that identifies you without your consent.
- You may be able to configure your browser to accept or block all or some cookies or notify you when a cookie is set. Each browser is different – Check your browser “Help” menu to learn how to change cookie preferences. Note though that disabling cookies may mean we won't be able provide certain products or services which may be of use to you.
We also use “web beacons” to access Ecovert's cookies inside and outside the Ecovert Website and in connection with services offered on the Ecovert Website.
In addition, we may use small bits of code called “pixel tags” (a tiny image inserted in a webpage and used to record the number and types of views for that page) embedded in some web pages, to make cookies more effective. We will not associate the information these software devices collect with your e-mail address or any other PII.
Links & Third Party Applications
We may provide, and the Ecovert Website may contain, links to other websites. Although we strive to only link to websites that share Ecovert's high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content or practices employed by other sites.
Updating PII & Contacting Us
You can update your PII (such as your email address or address) or contact a Ecovert privacy officer through the Contact section of the Ecovert Website.
How to Unsubscribe
You have the right to unsubscribe to Ecovert email list / update service(s) at any time. Each and every email sent to you in connection with the Ecovert email list / update service(s) service provides the opportunity to unsubscribe and provides instructions as to how to do so.
Confidentiality and Security
We have physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your PII and we use commercially reasonable measures to safeguard PII in Ecovert's possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure or modification.
We limit access to PII about you to employees who, as part of their job, we believe need to come into contact with that information to provide the Online Services to you.
We have taken preventative measures to restrict access to sensitive data and to detect and prohibit certain connections and operations by unauthorized users.
Despite Ecovert's high standards, no claim is made as to the impenetrability of the system under unusual circumstances or its resilience to future attacks. In the event that you believe that your personal safety is at risk or if you believe that you may be the victim of identity theft or other illegal conduct, please contact the appropriate federal, provincial or local law enforcement agencies directly.
Questions or Suggestions